Friday, June 20, 2008

Ponderings, Qiviut, and more ponderings

Okay, so I was sitting on my rose covered veranda, basking in the long rays of the early morning sun, sipping my morning Earl Grey, thinking about Qiviut wool, Qiviut yarn, Qiviut roving, Qiviut raw fleece for sale ... I need it.

I am contemplating starting to spin wool, and apparently, this stuff is THE STUFF to have. I saw teeny spun balls of it in Columbus last weekend going for HUGE amounts of $$$. As we don't have the muskoxen down here, it is kind of rare to find.

I then thought "hmmmmm folks up in the seriously cold climates must have this stuff popping out of every corner ... oh, hey I KNOW some one up there!"

I got my first break from the boys last week. I went home for a week of classes at a techniques conference (knitting). It was so wonderful being home. I actually felt as though I looked good (dare I say haaaawwt?) for the first time in a long time. Wow, I actually had time for myself in the mornings! There was something so soul grounding, walking the very streets that every generation has walked since my great great grandfather. This vibration in my soul then took me down to Xenia Ohio, and I did a little family tree researching for another branch of my family, and I was able to find the resting place for my (get this) Great-great-great Grand mother and father. We all knew where to find the Great-great ones, but finding the Great-great-great's was a total kicker. Armed with my information, I drove around town and found their original homestead land, and a house from one of their sons (still standing there in Xenia!). It was seriously soul shaking, standing there on "their land", that had been forgotten about for almost 100 years. It is not our land anymore, but next time I go I am going to look for the house foundation. And one of these days, I would love to build my own house on it! I went to the cemetery, but could not immediately find the g-g-g's. That will be for another time as well.

I am starting to find such solace in simple, simple things.

One thing I am NOT finding solace in is the fact that I STILL have shitty dial-up.