Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Catching up

I have been a bit disappointed in myself lately, as I have not posted anything about knitting. here is why. It is going very very s.l.o.w.l.y. Don't get me wrong, I love what I am doing, it is just that I am also toying with getting a wheel, starting my Etsy shop, AND finishing up Feather and Fan.
A couple of weekends ago, I joined a local Weavers and Spinners Guild. The ladies were SO NICE! Being part of the Guild, I can rent a couple of different wheels and try them out! I think I might be able to get one this weekend! They have an Ashford Traditional and an Ashford Joy. I got to try both of these wheels last weekend, when I went to a spinning class at a local yarn shop. It was wonderful to sit outside in the cool August breeze (what the hell is going on with the weather?) and learn how to spin. the little tufts of roving tumbled around like little fuzzy critters! I hate to say it, the Ashford Traditional and I did not get along. I don't know if it was the day, the roving, or perhaps I just did not spend enough time getting to know it. What I do know is that the Joy and I really hit it off.

Here is the problem ... when I finally do get a wheel, i want to be sure that the wheel will grow with me. I want to be able to eventually spin lace, and a lot of the wheels that are good for beginners do not spin that fast. The Traditional allows you to ADD lace weight flyers at a later time ... the Joy does not. Hmmmm, what to do? I am also interested in the Ashford Traveler Something about it's looks really calls to me. but finding one in a 200 mile radius is proving to be difficult.

I think the only way to remedy this problem is to go to A Wool Gathering in Yellow Springs!